Is bariatric surgery right for me?
Bariatric surgery at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula can help you lose weight and achieve better health if other weight loss methods haven’t worked. Learn if this life-changing procedure may be right for you.
Criteria for weight-loss surgery
You may qualify for bariatric surgery if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have a body mass index (BMI) between 35 and 40 and at least two obesity-related illnesses, such as diabetes, heart disease, or sleep apnea
- Have a BMI over 40 even without conditions linked to obesity
- Tried unsuccessfully to lose weight without surgery
- Can commit to follow-up care and lifestyle changes
- Don’t use tobacco or illegal drugs
- Limit alcohol use
Insurance coverage requirements
Most insurance providers cover bariatric surgery, but you should ask your insurance company what requirements you must meet for coverage. You’ll likely need to set yourself up for success by seeing several types of health professionals, including:
Alternatives to bariatric surgery
Before pursuing surgery, try losing weight with expert help, such as:
When you make a long-term commitment to nonsurgical ways of losing weight, you’ll:
- Help you and your doctor determine if surgery is the right choice for you
- Meet a requirement for insurance coverage
- Achieve a better surgical outcome
Benefits and risks of weight-loss surgery
After losing a lot of weight following bariatric surgery, you may feel more energetic and notice fewer symptoms of obesity-related conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or joint pain. Dramatic weight loss can even help you live longer.
But like all surgical procedures, bariatric surgery carries a risk of infection and other complications. Trust your surgeon and surgical nurses at Community Hospital to ensure your safety and prevent complications.
Learn more to guide your decision
Explore Community Hospital’s bariatric surgery classes and support groups. You’ll hear from members of our expert team while learning about what to expect, types of procedures to choose from, and more.