8 Tips to Reduce Your Risk
Did you know breast cancer is the most common cancer in American women, except for skin cancers?
According to the American Cancer Society, the average risk of a woman in the United States developing breast cancer sometime in her life is about 13% — or a 1 in 8 chance she will develop breast cancer.
October is breast cancer awareness month and our specialists at the Carol Hatton Breast Care Center have put together a list of 8 tips to reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Get a mammogram. Talk to your doctor about when to start.
- Get active — do things you love.
- Limit alcohol. The more alcohol you drink, the greater the risk.
- Quit smoking. There’s a link between smoking and breast cancer risk.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Breastfeed. It may play a role in breast cancer prevention.
- Talk to your doctor about the effects of hormone therapy.
- Eat a healthy diet.