Your cancer care team
When you receive cancer care at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, part of Montage Health, you’ll be the focus of a dedicated team of experts. Get to know which types of doctors and other professionals you may interact with during your journey.
Oncology specialists near you
Access well-rounded, high-quality oncologic care while staying close to your home and support system in Monterey.
Types of oncologists
Depending on the type and stage of cancer you have, you may get care from:
Doctors on your care team
In addition to your oncologists, your team may also include doctors — such as dermatologists, pulmonologists, urologists, or other physicians — who specialize in the body system affected by the type of cancer you have. Your primary care provider will care for your day-to-day health needs, help you navigate the healthcare system, and coordinate your care, so all members of your care team stay up to date on your treatment plan.
You may also work with other types of physicians, such as:
- Palliative medicine specialist – Doctor who focuses on improving quality of life by treating symptoms of cancer and any side effects of cancer treatment
- Pathologist – Scientist who does laboratory testing to diagnose or stage cancer
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeon – Doctor who restores or improves the look or function of a body part
- Radiologist – Doctor who specializes in using imaging technology to diagnose health conditions or perform treatments such as radiofrequency ablation
Specially trained oncology nurses
At Community Hospital’s Comprehensive Cancer Center, you’ll get care from registered nurses (RNs) with advanced training to:
- Care for patients receiving cancer treatment
- Provide one-on-one cancer education
Many of our nurses hold Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) certification. This means they have the highest level of skill and knowledge in their field and stay up to date on best practices through continuing education.
Healthcare professionals and support staff
To make sure you receive well-rounded, comprehensive care personalized to you, you may also work with:
- Cancer registrar – Professional who gathers information from patients and their care team and reports cancer data
- Chaplain – Spiritual care provider
- Dietitian – Nutrition expert
- Discharge planner – Staff person who helps you get ready to go home after a stay in the hospital and helps you create a plan for any follow-up care you may need
- Hospice staff – Team that offers supportive end-of-life care
- Mental health providers – Professionals who offer emotional support and treatment for conditions such as anxiety and depression
- Pharmacists – Healthcare providers who prepare, dispense, and monitor the effectiveness of medications
- Radiation oncology staff and educators, including licensed radiation therapists, radiation oncology nurses, onsite physicist, and in-house dosimetry team
- Rehabilitation therapists – Specialists in physical therapy, lymphedema therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, or other types of rehabilitation services
- Social workers – Professionals who offer healthcare system guidance, emotional support, financial counseling, and resources
Multidisciplinary cancer committee
During conferences held twice a week, a group of Community Hospital cancer experts gather to discuss and review patient care plans. You benefit from the combined experience of different specialists who make sure you receive the best possible evidence-based treatment plan, even as your needs may change. Together our doctors review the patient history as well as viewing any biopsy slides and scans. Because our experts work closely together to plan your treatment and meet regularly, you’ll get the care that’s right for you quickly and smoothly.
Cancer patient navigator
Get support from a cancer survivor who offers friendship and has special training to help you and your family during cancer treatment. Call (831) 625-4753 to request a personal patient navigator or learn more about this free program.
Cancer care partnerships in California
Take advantage of an outstanding level of cancer care locally while still accessing the expertise of other oncology teams at:
- Stanford Health Care (SHC)
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Health
If needed, your Montage Health doctor will refer you for treatment or collaborate with doctors at these organizations. Enjoy coordinated, seamless care because all of your providers at Montage Health and our partner organizations can access your electronic health record.