Diabetes education and care
Your local choice for excellent diabetes care is Montage Health and Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Count on our compassionate team to provide guidance that makes it easier to manage diabetes day to day.
Conditions we treat
If you or your child needs care to prevent or control diabetes, think of Montage Health. Our diabetes and nutrition experts care for people with:
- Prediabetes – Higher-than-normal blood sugar levels that could develop into type 2 diabetes without lifestyle changes
- Type 1 diabetes – Diabetes that happens when the pancreas doesn’t make enough insulin to process glucose (sugar)
- Type 2 diabetes – High blood sugar levels due to the body’s inability to use or make enough insulin
- Gestational diabetes – Diabetes that occurs during pregnancy
When to get help
It’s possible to have diabetes and not know it. In Monterey County, nearly half the adult population has prediabetes or diabetes. Talk to your primary care provider about your risk, especially if you experience:
- Blurred vision
- Darkened skin areas
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst or hunger
- Sudden weight loss
- Unexplained fatigue (tiredness)
- Wounds or sores that won’t heal
Your doctor may recommend lab tests to check your blood sugar levels. Based on the results, your doctor may refer you to a hormone specialist called an endocrinologist. If you’re diagnosed with diabetes or your doctor says you’re at risk, contact our team to learn about services that may benefit you.
No matter how long you’ve had diabetes or how comfortable you feel managing your condition, our services can benefit your health and day-to-day well-being. Take advantage of:
- Diabetes education tailored to your goals and health concerns
- Support groups
- Nutrition counseling that focuses on helping you make healthy food choices while still enjoying what you eat
- Exercise and activity recommendations
- Blood glucose (sugar) monitoring
- Medication management, including learning how to use an insulin pump or inject insulin
- Diabetes technologies, including insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors (CGMs)
Depending on your needs, you may receive:
- Inpatient diabetes care at Community Hospital, which provides specialized, overnight support and monitoring
- Outpatient care at our dedicated Diabetes and Nutrition Therapy offices in Monterey and Salinas. Bring your diabetes supplies and your medications in their original containers.
- Ongoing support through phone calls or virtual visits
Paying for diabetes education and care
Contact your insurance provider to learn what diabetes services are covered by your plan. In some cases, you’ll need a doctor’s referral for your insurance to cover the cost of your care. Let us know if you need help with the referral process or finding a primary care doctor.
Some of our educational services are free. If you need help to cover the cost of your diabetes care, you may be eligible for financial assistance.