What to expect during your outpatient lab test
Visit one of Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula’s outpatient laboratories for same-day testing. You’ll appreciate how we’ve made your experience as easy as possible so that you can get back to your day.
Walk-in testing services
You don’t need an appointment to visit one of our six conveniently located laboratories. However, you do need a doctor’s order for your tests.
To fit your busy schedule, the labs offer different hours of operation, including early morning and late afternoon, Saturday, and sometimes holiday hours. Usually, the labs are busiest in the morning, but our goal is to make your visit as quick and smooth as possible. If you don’t have to fast (avoid eating) before your test, consider coming in the afternoon.
When you arrive
You’ll register for your test with a friendly member of our staff. Plan to show:
- Your ID and insurance card
- Copy of your lab test order from your doctor, just in case we didn’t receive the order digitally or via fax
How your test is performed
During your visit, rely on our staff to explain what will happen and answer any questions you have. A healthcare professional will collect the testing sample while following the highest standards to keep you safe and comfortable and protect your privacy.
Visit the Lab Tests Online website for helpful, accurate information about specific types of tests.
If you have a blood draw, a certified, state-licensed professional called a phlebotomist will take the sample. Whenever possible, your phlebotomist will take the blood sample from the arm you prefer.
Urine and stool sample collection
- Visit the lab to provide your sample in an onsite bathroom
- In some cases, receive a special container from your doctor to collect a urine or stool sample at your home. Bring the collected sample to the lab for testing
Your lab test results
Understand typical turnaround times for lab test results, how and when you can access your results, and why your doctor is the best choice to help you interpret what your tests mean.
Get answers to common questions about our laboratory services, including:
- Types of tests we offer and why you may need a test
- How to prepare for your test and estimate how much it may cost
- Various certifications of our labs and staff