If your respiratory condition affects your quality of life or makes it hard to do the things you enjoy, help is available. Get the training and support you need by taking part in pulmonary rehabilitation at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula.
What’s pulmonary rehab?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is an education and exercise program that can help you:
- Achieve your personal best respiratory health
- Increase your ability to do activities
- Lessen anxiety and stress
- Manage or lessen respiratory symptoms like shortness of breath
Is this program right for me?
Pulmonary rehabilitation may benefit you:
- Before or after lung surgery, such as lung transplant or reduction
- If you have a chronic (long-term) condition like asthma, bronchitis, bronchiectasis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, emphysema, or pulmonary fibrosis
What to expect
Receive well-rounded support from our pulmonary wellness team. These professionals hold different areas of expertise but focus on one goal: improving your respiratory health. The team includes:
- Certified respiratory therapist (RT) who provides breathing treatments and other services to improve lung function
- Registered nurse (RN)
- Certified clinical exercise physiologist®, an expert who recommends and supervises physical activity
- Medical director who oversees the program
Assessment and individualized plan
Your rehabilitation program starts with a comprehensive assessment. Rely on us to answer questions about your condition and the program. Your rehabilitation plan will reflect your:
- Current symptoms
- Functional capacity test results, which measure your respiratory health at the start of the program
- Goals and preferences
- Medical history
Your rehabilitation plan
Look forward to a combination of education, physical activities, and supportive services. Throughout your rehabilitation journey, you’ll receive encouragement and guidance from our staff to reach your best outcome.
Take part in classes on a variety of topics, such as:
- Breathing retraining
- Cough management and infection prevention
- Energy conservation techniques
- Exercise tips if you have lung disease
- Healthy nutrition if you have lung disease
- Lung disease and emotional health
- Oxygen therapy education
- Stress-reduction and relaxation techniques
- Travel safety if you have a respiratory condition
- Understanding your condition
- Understanding your medications and how to take them so they’re as effective and safe as possible
Exercise skills and training
Improve your fitness through personalized skill-building and training. You may benefit from:
- Cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility training
- Exercise program planning with specific activity recommendations
- Guidelines for workouts and making progress at home
- Inhaler techniques, breathing retraining, and bronchial hygiene during exercise
- Monitored (heart rate and oxygen saturation) exercise training
- Upper body strengthening
Additional pulmonary wellness services
Based on your needs, your rehabilitation plan may also include:
How much does the program cost?
Many health insurance policies cover pulmonary rehabilitation. View the list of plans we accept. Contact your insurance provider to find out the services your plan covers. If needed, financial assistance is available for those who qualify.