At the Family Birth Center
Welcome your baby to the world at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula's Family Birth Center. You and your newborn will be the focus of a well-qualified team dedicated to making sure you have the best experience possible.
Community Hospital is part of Montage Health, a nonprofit network of skilled doctors in the area offering high-quality health and wellness services.
Take a virtual tour of the Family Birth Center.
Monterey’s hospital for special beginnings
Your baby’s birth will be an exciting, life-changing moment. The Family Birth Center is designed with you and your baby in mind. Parents-to-be like you have trusted us for more than 85 years, and it’s our privilege to be part of the history of generations of families in Monterey County.
The Family Birth Center is a calm, soothing, secure environment. Expect our healthcare providers and staff to support your decisions about your body and birth experience. We offer:
- Large, private, comfortable patient rooms with private bathrooms and showers
- Mobile fetal monitoring so you can walk, shower, or move around during labor while we track your contractions and your baby’s heart rate
- Services and supplies to customize your labor and delivery experience, including birthing stools, peanut balls, and squat bars
- Expert team of doctors (including obstetricians), labor and delivery nurses, and other professionals who specialize in caring for women and infants
- Intermediate intensive care nursery (IICN), a specialized setting to care for babies born early, too small, or sick
- Breastfeeding education and one-on-one support from a certified lactation consultant
Meals and snacks
You’ll receive a menu to select tasty, nutritious meals and snacks we’ll deliver to your room. Your support person can order a guest tray or purchase food at the hospital’s nearby Fountain Court Café and eat in your room.
You can also bring food and beverages from home and store and prepare them in our patient pantry. The pantry includes:
- Coffee available 24/7
- Filtered water and ice station
- Certain food items
Your room at the birth center
Settle in and make your space feel like your home away from home. You’ll likely stay in the same large room for your entire hospital stay — from labor and delivery to recovery and postpartum parent-baby care. If all 13 rooms in the birth center become full, you and your baby may stay in a nearby nursing unit for postpartum care. The same amenities and skilled staff are available in this unit.
When it comes to the supplies you need for your stay, we have you covered. For you and your support person's comfort, your room has:
- Closets and storage
- Daybed (sleeper couch) for a guest
- Linens and blankets
- Postpartum supplies, including ice packs, disposable underwear, hemorrhoid pads, pain-relief spray, and other items
- Newborn care supplies, including a crib, diapers, baby wipes, and more
- Private bathroom and shower
- TV and free, high-speed Wi-Fi
How to prepare and what to expect
Before you come to the birth center, consider creating a birth plan and reading our tips on preparing and what to bring. Learn more about: