Pelvic floor therapy
Ease pelvic pain and control symptoms like incontinence with specialized physical therapy at Montage Health.
What is pelvic floor therapy?
Pelvic floor therapy treats pain, weak muscles, and urinary or bowel incontinence (lack of control) in both men and women. Pelvic floor disorders can happen due to:
Is pelvic floor therapy right for me?
Ask your doctor about pelvic floor therapy if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Bladder leakage when you cough, sneeze, or exercise
- Need to use the restroom so often it disrupts your daily life
- Sudden urges to urinate
- Trouble emptying your bladder or bowels all the way
- Long-lasting pain in your groin area or lower back
- Pain during sex
Treatment and education
You’ll get an assessment at your first appointment with a physical therapist to determine if this type of therapy will help reduce your symptoms. To help you reach the best possible results, you may receive pelvic floor rehabilitation along with other treatments and medications.
Expect pelvic floor therapy to involve:
- Education on your condition
- Recommendations for dietary or lifestyle changes that can improve bowel and bladder function
- Pelvic floor exercises
In some cases, your doctor or therapist may recommend pain management to help you feel more comfortable day-to-day.