Junior volunteer opportunities
Pick a junior volunteer opportunity at Montage Health and Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula that matches your interests and abilities. You’ll meet new people and experience what it’s like to work in healthcare.
Plan to volunteer at least twice per month. Your specific volunteer schedule depends on which opportunity you pursue.
Interesting, flexible volunteer work
If you or your child is 14 to 18 years old, the junior Auxiliary offers rewarding ways to give back to others and build skills. Different scheduling options make it easy for you to balance school and other activities.
Fountain Court Café
Fountain Court Café volunteers serve families and friends of patients, hospital visitors, and hospital staff. You may enjoy this role if you feel comfortable engaging with people going through a stressful time in their lives. Duties include:
- Taking meal orders
- Processing payments at the register
- Making and serving food and beverages
Nursery – Family Birth Center
Family Birth Center volunteers:
- Answer phone calls from patient rooms
- Assist nurses with faxing paperwork
- Bring water and ice to patient rooms
- Help keep the nursery clean and tidy
- Help parents enter the nursery
- Take lab samples to the laboratory
Volunteer to visit Community Hospital patients who may have few or no visitors. In their hospital rooms, you’ll provide friendship and companionship through conversation, playing games, or going for a walk when possible.
Assist rehabilitation staff, aides, and patients in rehabilitation programs and classes at our rehabilitation locations in Monterey (near Monterey High School), Marina, or Salinas. Your duties may include:
- Room cleaning and turnover after treatment sessions
- Giving tours (especially of the pool)
- Providing general clinic and cleaning support
- Clerical tasks
After receiving training, reception desk volunteers:
- Greet visitors and answer questions
- Help with patient transportation
- Provide directions to rooms and departments
- Accept and deliver flowers
- Answer phones
- Perform other duties
- Use the reception desk computer and Epic electronic health records system
In thanks for your service, junior Auxiliary volunteers can qualify for scholarships. If you’re a local high school senior who is graduating at the end of this academic year and you hold at least 100 volunteer hours, contact us at (831) 622-2824 to learn more. We’ll provide additional information about eligibility requirements and send you an application.
Scholarships are also available to local college students who plan to work in healthcare.