Therapy dog program
Spread good cheer through wagging tails when you and your canine companion join Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula’s therapy dog program.
Is my dog eligible?
When we’re actively recruiting, consider joining our volunteer team if your dog is:
- Certified as a therapy dog by Therapy Dog International
- Gentle, friendly, and comfortable in a healthcare setting
- Up-to-date on all required vaccinations and registered with Monterey County
You and your dog must commit to at least one visit per month at Community Hospital or Westland House. At each visit, your dog must be clean and well-groomed.
Purpose of the program
Be part of a rewarding volunteer program with proven benefits to our community, all while spending time with your best furry friend. Our therapy dogs:
- Bring comfort and joy to patients receiving hospital or hospice care, promoting a healing environment, and their friends and family who visit
- Lower patient anxiety and blood pressure levels
- Reduce healthcare staff stress
- Attend special holiday events throughout the year
You’ll also have opportunities to visit schools and other settings to educate the larger Monterey County community about animal-assisted therapy.